Once again, my iPhone is a source of frustration ... because, well, apparently, Steve Jobs knows better than I how I should be using my iPhone. Let us not forget that I shell out a large amount of money for the privilege of owning one of these devices. And, its nice in a lot of ways, simplifying everyday life. And, maybe, its the juxtaposition of how much it simplifies life with how much it can complicate it that really exaggerates its failures.
The Dilemma: I sweat when I run. This sweat runs down the decent but not great iPhone headset (not headphones but headset as it also has a microphone with a click button) getting into the microphone-click button housing. When the sweat gets into this housing, it seems to short out the click button, which when shorted out appears to the iPhone as if the click button is being held down. Holding down the click button initiates the so-called "voice control" feature of the iPhone, which interrupts music and possibly other applications, like my GPS run tracking app. On long runs, the voice control feature of the iPhone may be activated numerous times per minute, which is really bothersome.
The Obvious Solution: Turn off the voice control feature to prevent it from being inadvertently activated ... easy, right? Wrong. Steve Jobs wont let you deactivate the voice control feature through the settings of the iPhone. There is simply no way to deactivate this feature of the iPhone. Apparently, Steve Jobs knows better than I do how I should be using his precious iPhone because clearly it is not my iPhone as I cannot even disable a feature that I have never used nor have any inclination of using.
The Un-Obvious Solution: I ordered the headphones depicted to the left. They are cheap and are somewhat innovative, providing three different configurations for wearing them. They also include a mic. I have not yet received them from Amazon, but will report back what I think after a few runs.
No comments:
Post a Comment